We don’t like to think about it, but a disaster can happen to any one of us. It did for the McDermott family. When Hurricane Sandy struck the East Coast, it left a path of destruction in its wake. In Breezy Point, NY the McDermott home was one of over 100 that were completely destroyed. As Rosemary McDermott searched the debris, she looked for something that would bring her mother comfort at such a hard time. It was then they came across a charred box. And inside “something salvageable out of absolutely nothing.”
Inside the SentrySafe file was Rosemary’s family genealogy, a project her mother had taken years of care to complete. And she knew when she had found something that would make her mother so happy that something could be saved from their former life.
It’s a promise we make with every safe we sell. That should the worst happen, you’ll have what you need to get through it. Whether it’s documents that are hard to replace, or the photographs and memories that will bring you comfort at this difficult time, we’ll keep them safe. It’s a tragedy to lose everything, but when you own a SentrySafe you don’t really lose it all. You still have the pictures from your wedding, your daughter’s first drawing and the insurance papers you’ll need to start fresh. But most importantly you know you and your family will have the strength to begin again.
SentrySafe is committed to protecting the things that matter most to you, including the environment. It’s our aim to leave our world as beautiful as it was over 80 years ago when we first started here in Rochester, NY. We constantly are looking for new ways to decrease our impact on the environment and we’re making new strides every year! Here are just some of our most recent efforts.
In 2012, SentrySafe installed a solar panel system onto the roof of our Rochester manufacturing facility. The 12kW solar array is expected to produce 15,514 kWh of electricity annually, reducing our carbon-base emissions by roughly 31,000 lbs per year!
Last year, SentrySafe also installed a steel crusher. It’s completely covered and it protects scrap steel from rain and snow helping to eliminate runoff into our storm water drainage system. In addition, the steel crusher has helped up reduce the number of disposal pickups needed for our scrap steel from 14 runs a week to only 2! We estimate the reduction in transportation reduces our diesel fuel consumption by more than 2,000 gallons a year!
Recycling has been a big part of business here at SentrySafe and last year was no exception. We recycled over 3,500,000 lbs in metal, 250,000 lbs of plastic, 300,000 lbs of cardboard last year alone!
We’ve continued our efforts in 2013 and pledge to always look for new ways to improve. It’s a promise you know you can count on, because when you need someone to protect the things that matter most to you, you know you can depend on SentrySafe.
This Sunday, don’t forget to turn your clocks ahead! And while you’re walking around the house it’s also a great time to remember to do a few other things, like check your home’s fire safety equipment. Do all your smoke alarms have fresh batteries? Are your fire extinguishers past their expiration date? Here are a couple of helpful reminders, so you can be sure your home and family are prepared in the event of a fire.
1. Go around the house and test and replace the batteries in your smoke alarms. There should be smoke alarms on every level of your home, including the basement. You should also have smoke alarms installed inside and outside of sleeping areas, the kitchen, laundry room and main living area of the home. It may seem extreme but if the worst should happen you want as much notice as possible for you and your family to get out of the house.
2. Did you know that your fire extinguisher may have an expiration date? Or that what type of fire extinguisher you need is dependent on the type of fire that is likely to occur in that part of the house? Fire extinguishers should be easily accessed on every level of you home as well as in the kitchen, basement and garage. To learn more about the different types of fire extinguisher visit http://www.usfa.fema.gov/citizens/home_fire_prev/extinguishers.shtm
3. Practice your escape plan with your kids. Should the worst happen you want your kids to be well versed in what to do to get out of the house. Practice crawling to safety in the dark. You could even have them help you create a map that shows how to get out of the house.
4. Don’t forget about your Carbon Monoxide Detectors. Make sure to test and replace the batteries in these when walking around the house. It is recommended that Carbon Monoxide Detectors be located on all levels of the home including main living areas, near or in sleeping areas and the top of the basement stairs.
5. Last but not least…Keep it safe! Should the worst happen you want your family to focus on getting out to safety, not running back to get things. Documents like insurance papers, social security car and tax documentation can be real headache to recover, especially when you’re trying to get your family back on their feet. And family heirlooms, photos and precious memories can be a real comfort when everything else is lost. So make sure you’re prepared to begin again by keeping your important documents and valuables safe.
Thursday, February 21st, 2013 by Ashley |
These days we all seem to be carrying around hundreds of passwords, combinaitons and keys. Sometimes it can be hard to keep track, especially when it’s a combination you don’t use all the time. We’re all human and these things happen. But when we’re talking about accessing your important documents and valuables, forgetting your combination can become an especially frustrating and potentially scary moment. You want to make sure you can get what you need, when you need it, and so do we.
It’s one of the many reasons to create a MySentrySafe Profile. It allows you to easily register and store information about all your SentrySafe products in one place. So, now you can quickly look up and reference owner’s manuals for answers to FAQs. You can store combinations securely, making them easy to look up and helping you avoid the processing fees and affidavits previously required to recover a combination.
And if that weren’t enough reason right there, until the end of the year, we’ll be randomly selecting one registered MySentrySafe Profile to receive a Combination Water/Fire Resistant Safe every month! So what are you waiting for?! Get started today or find out more information at https://www.sentrysafe.com/myprofile/Why_Sign_Up.
Wednesday, February 20th, 2013 by Ashley |
We’ve been saying it for years! A water/fire-resistant safe is an essential part of any closet makeover! Not only does it help you keep you organized but it’s keeps your important documents and valuables safe from fire, flood and theft. Check out this video for tips from Good Morning America on how to give your closet a makeover to get your family organized and your valuables protected.
Thursday, February 7th, 2013 by Ashley |
It’s a great feeling knowing that you’ve worked hard to help someone else. In our humble opinion, few work harder than the manufacturers at our Rochester, NY factory. They give it their all every day, but they are not just making a product. They’re building protection that we truly hope you and your family will never need, but will be glad you have in the event of a fire. So we had our employees read some of the many testimonials that we receive here at SentrySafe. Because it’s always nice to know that someone, somewhere appreciated the hard work and care you’ve put into your job.