Halloween is a spooky and scary time, but it’s also a lot of fun! With everything from vampires to fairy princesses running around, it’s hard not to get caught up in all of the excitement. Still it’s important that with all of the candles, jack-o-lanterns and decorations to make sure that your home and family are safe. So enjoy all the candy, but make sure you follow these fire safety tips to make sure Halloween is fun and safe for you and your trick-or-treaters.
- When you buy a costume, make sure it says “Flame Resistant” on the tag or packaging. Some materials easily catch on fire, and with jack-o-lanterns and candles in driveways you want to be sure that your trick-or-treater is safe. Fabrics like polyester or nylon tend to be more fire-resistant than other materials.
- Tell your kids to steer clear of jack-o-lanterns and other decorations that use candles. Baggy costumes can catch on fire if they get too close.
- Remind your children that playing with matches or lighters is very dangerous, and to let you know if they see their friends playing with them.
- Never leave candle decorations unattended. Opt for flameless candles, flash lights or glow sticks instead.
- Use lights that are tested for safety by a recognized testing laboratory, and check lights for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections. Be careful not to overload extension cords.
Fore more information about these and other Halloween Fire Safety Tips from the U.S. Fire Administration visit http://www.usfa.fema.gov/citizens/home_fire_prev/holiday-seasonal/halloween.shtm